The No-Win Design Problem (with Desiree Garcia, Automattic)
Desiree Garcia is a senior designer at Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com and most recently, Tumblr. Their goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world. She's also an editor at A List Apart, a webzine that explores the design, development, and meaning of web content, with a special focus on web standards and best practices.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How a psychology degree can influence design and teamwork
- What we miss about the old web
- Star Trek's Kobayashi Maru and how it applies to design
- How to respond to situations that can't be won
- The challenges of talking about your work
- Designing things that "aren't real"